- Zhe Fan, Feng Qiu, Arie Kaufman, Suzanne Yoakum-Stover, GPU Cluster for High Performance Computing, ACM / IEEE Supercomputing Conference 2004, November 6-12, Pittsburgh PA.
- Feng Qiu, Ye Zhao, Zhe Fan, Xiaoming Wei, Haik Lorenz, Jianning Wang, Suzanne Yoakum-Stover, Arie Kaufman and Klaus Mueller, Dispersion Simulation and Visualization for Urban Security, IEEE Visualization 2004, Austin Texas.
Abstract: Inspired by the attractive Flops/dollar ratio and the incredible growth in the speed of modern graphics processing units (GPUs), we propose to use a cluster of GPUs for high performance scientific computing. As an example application, we have developed a parallel flow simulation using the lattice Boltzmann model (LBM) on a GPU cluster and have simulated the dispersion of airborne contaminants in the Times Square area of New York City. Using 30 GPU nodes, our simulation can compute the 480x400x80 LBM in 0.31 second/step, a speed which is 4.6 times faster than that of our CPU cluster implementation. Besides the LBM, we also discuss other potential applications of the GPU cluster, such as cellular automata, PDE solvers, and FEM.
Abstract: In this paper, we present a system for simulating and visualizing the propagation of dispersive contaminants with an application to urban security. In particular, we simulate airborne contaminant propagation in open environments characterized by sky-scrapers and deep urban canyons. Our approach is based on the Multiple Relaxation Time Lattice Boltzmann Model (MRTLBM), which can efficiently handle complex boundary conditions such as buildings. In addition, we model thermal effects on the flow field using the hybrid thermal MRTLBM. Our approach can also accommodate readings from various sensors distributed in the environment and adapt the simulation accordingly. We accelerate the computation on the GPU and efficiently render many buildings using small textures. We render the contaminant smoke with self-shadowing composited with the textured buildings.
- Adapted Unstructured LBM for Flow Simulation on Curved Surfaces , Zhe Fan, Ye Zhao, Arie Kaufman, Ying He, ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS Symposium on Computer Animation, pp. 245-254, 2005, Full Paper (PDF).
- Flow Simulation with Complex Boundaries, Wei Li, Zhe Fan, Xizoming Wei, and A. Kaufman, GPU Gems 2: Programming Techniques for High-Performance Graphics and General-Purpose Computation, Matt Pharr (ed.), Addison-Wesley, pp. 747-764, 2005.
- Lattice-based Flow Field Modeling, Xiaoming Wei, Ye Zhao, Zhe Fan, Wei Li, Feng Qiu, Suzanne Yoakum-Stover and Arie Kaufman, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 719–729, 2004, Full Paper (PDF).
- Voxels On Fire, Ye Zhao, Xiaoming Wei, Zhe Fan, Arie Kaufman and Hong Qin, IEEE Visualization 2003, pp. 271-279, Full Paper (PDF).
- Blowing in the Wind , Xiaoming Wei, Ye Zhao, Zhe Fan, Wei Li, Suzanne Yoakum-Stover and Arie Kaufman, ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS Symposium on Computer Animation 2003, pp. 75-85, Full Paper (PDF).
- Implementing Lattice Boltzmann Computation on Graphics Hardware, Wei Li, Xiaoming Wei, and Arie Kaufman, The Visual Computer, vol. 19, no. 7-8, December 2003, pp. 444-456, Full Paper (PDF).
- The Lattice-Boltzmann Method for Gaseous Phenomena, Xiaoming Wei, Wei Li, Klaus Mueller, and Arie Kaufman, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 10, no. 2, March/April 2004, pp. 164-176, Full Paper (PDF).
- Interactive Flowing of Highly Viscous Volumes in Virtual Environments, Xiaoming Wei, Wei Li, and Arie Kaufman, IEEE Virtual Reality 2003, pp. 281-282, Poster Paper.
- Melting and Flowing of Viscous Volumes, Xiaoming Wei, Wei Li, and Arie Kaufman, Computer Animation and Social Agents 2003, pp. 54-59, Full Paper (PDF).
- Simulating Fire with Texture Splats, Xiaoming Wei, Wei Li, Klaus Mueller, and Arie Kaufman, IEEE Visualization 2002, pp. 227-237, Boston, MA. Full Paper (PDF).